Google Analytics and UTM tracking
Get a better understanding of your customers with Google Analytics. The insights from UTM tracking will help you to better understand your customers and and how they interact with your brand.
To access the Google Analytics settings of your Email, open the Email settings in the bottom bar and select Analytics.
In this article
About UTM parameters
UTM is an acronym that stands for Urchin Tracking Method.
UTM tracking uses snippets of code, called UTM parameters, that are applied to your link URLs to track how customers reach your site.
This tracking show how customers interact with your brand across different marketing channels. Which is necessary for tracking and mapping the customer journey.
Here are all the available UTM parameters for your Email activity. All parameters marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
Google Analytics and Assets
Creating Asset from Email
If you're saving a Row as an Asset from an Email, please note that any Google Analytics settings that have been configured in the Email editor's bottom bar will not be saved with the Asset.
Creating Asset from Asset tab
If you're creating an Asset from the Assets tab, you will not see the Google Analytics settings in the bottom bar.
Using Asset in Email
When you add the Asset to an Email, it will gain the Google Analytics settings you applied in the bottom bar (since these apply to the entire Email).
As to Dynamic assets, when fetching content on send-out, Google Analytics settings applied in the bottom bar will be used in all links in the Asset.
Setting up Google Analytics tracking in an Email
In the Email setting's Analytics, you can enter UTM parameters for all the links in your Email send out. Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
1. Fill in the values for your UTM parameters.
2. If you wish to add a Data tag as a UTM parameter, enter ## in the text bar to open the dropdown menu, and select an Attribute from the list. Both custom and default Attributes are available.
3. After filling in all the required and optional values, click Enable.
4. You'll see the following message. This means that all links in your Email will now contain the UTM parameters you set up in the Email settings Analytics.
Click Enable to confirm.
5. If you wish to set up UTM parameters for specifics links, click Cancel and jump to Setting up Google Analytics for Specific Links below.
6. Ready? Click Done.
Setting up Google Analytics tracking in specific Links
You can add or modify Google Analytics tracking, or UTM parameters to any link in your Email.
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
1. To begin, locate the Element where your link is placed.
2. In the Inline Text Editor, or in the Element's options, expand the Link Settings dropdown menu.
To see the Element's options, click the Element and you'll find them in the Design Panel, on the right.
3. If you enabled Google Analytics tracking for your entire Email, you'll see a green checkmark.
You can modify the existing settings for this specific link, or enable tracking if you haven't set this up for the entire Email.
If it's disabled, tick the Enabled box.
4. Fill in or modify the UTM parameters for your link.
When ready, continue working with your Email activity!
Disable Google Analytics tracking in specific Links
To begin, locate the Element where your link is placed.
1. In the Inline Text Editor, or in the Element's options, expand the Link Settings dropdown menu.
2. If you enabled Google Analytics tracking for your entire Email, you'll see a green checkbox.
3. Untick the Enabled box. Google Analytics tracking will be disabled for this specific link.